After overcoming difficulties associated with the opening of a new club, the County Westmeath Golf Club was opened, with four or five holes on the lands of Clownmore, at the Newbrook Racecourse.
The Club was affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland.
The Club moved to Mount Prospect with a nine hole course at (Kilian’s), Dublin Road at an annual rent of £20.
Another move to a site on the Lynn Road (J.T. Roches Land) consisting of 46 acres; the course measured 2,458 yards and included 1 bogey 6! with a standard scratch of 76, (Annual Rent: £60)
The club then moved to a picturesque setting (Gaynor’s field) by The Captain’s Hill at Lough Owel.
The committee obtained a lease on roughly 120 acres of land belonging to Col. Howard Bury in Belvedere, where a course was laid out to the design of former Open Champion James Braid (Greens and tees built by M/s Stutt & Paisley); a clubhouse was built at a cost of £2,000 and play commenced in 1937.
The club hosted the Irish Professional Championship for the first time (winner Fred Daly); hosting same in 1959 (winner Norman Drew – first prize £100). 1965 (Christy O’Conner – first prize £300) and professional match-play in 1970 (Paddy Skeritt).
The inaugural Mullingar Scratch Trophy took place (J.B. Carr)
Hosted Irish Ladies Close Championship (E. Purcell); and again in 2017 (Paula Grant)
Hosted Irish Girls Close Chamionships (Mary Governey) same in 1994 (Aisling O’LEary) and in 2008 (Lisa Maguire).
Irish Youths (Peter McNally) and 1982 (Karl O’Donnell).
Clubhouse underwent a major refurbishment.
Purchased course from Westmeath County Council.
Mullingar became the first Irish club to host the Girls Home Internationals.
Ladies were offered and availed of full membership status.
The golf course underwent a major development to bring it up to USGA standard (tees, greens; under the supervision of golf professional and golf course designer David Jones, constructed by Fanning Golf.
First Boys’ (Elan Darcy) and Girls’ (Alison Maguire) Junior Captains took office.
Club hosted ladies All Ireland Inter Club finals.
New short game practice facility opened (designed by Ken Kearney).
Celebrating 125 years.